|The original Autocar company began more than 100 years ago as the Pittsburgh Motor Car Company, founded in 1897 by brothers Louis and John Clark. The company's first vehicle was a gas-powered tricycle. Two years later, the Clarks moved the company to Ardmore, Pa., and renamed the firm Autocar. In 1905 the name Autocar became a registered trademark. |
The company began focusing on trucks in 1907, with the introduction of a two-ton truck with shaft driven axle. Autocar was the first truck manufacturer to build wheels with wooden instead of wire spokes. It introduced its first commercial vehicle in 1908, and growth continued throughout ensuing decades. To read the history of Autocar please visit this site.