|Clement Auguste Martin, dealer in bicycles and cars opened his own garage close to Paris in 1921 and became the agent for the new Amilcar, created in 1921 by Joseph Lamy and Emille Akar whose names were blended to form the companies title. |
The Amilcars were very successful in competition racing in the early 1920s. The Bear logo was designed by C. A. Martins painter friend Georges Hamel and used extensively toward the middle of the 1920s and into the 1930s, after C.A Martin had taken over the Amilcar racing team and had also become one of the teams most successful drivers. The bear was found on much of the racing teams equipment including radiator toppers, overalls patches, programs, helmets among others.