Russian Factory Mascots

Manufacturer:  Sachsenring Trabant.

Sachsenring Trabant.  The mascot shown was from a IFA F9 based on a DKW and built at the Sachsenring factory in Zwickau from 1948 until 1953.  The name Trabant didn't appear until 1957 when the first Trabant a P50 came into production from 1957 until 1990.  Before the 2nd world war Zwickau was the home of Horch, who manufactured large exotic vehicles and was part of the Auto Union group, that also included Audi and DKW.  After the war Zwickau, became part of the Communist ruled DDR.  "Deutsche Demokratische Republik".  Known in English as East Germany, this was a state, that existed from 1949 to 1989.  It wasn't until after 1989 and the dismantling of the Berlin Wall that we in the West became fully aware of these funny little cars as they trundled their way from East to West Berlin, however the Sachsenring factory had in fact built over three million of them over the past 40 years, to put this into prospective there were only a total of 1.3 million Morris Minors built.  The mascot is although smaller very similar to the Horch which carried a winged globe.  These mascots can only be seen on the IFA F9 1949 to 1953, and the P70 1954 to 57 Estate.